We set up booths at conferences and meetings of professional associations, such as teachers, journalists and medical professionals to reach these populations with information on how the Israel/Palestine situation is related to their work. The booths provide information they can use in their work, e.g. curriculum for teachers. Additionally, we set up tables at other organization and public events.
- November 2013: JVP-SD had a booth at the Union of Reform Judaism national convention held at the San Diego Convention Center.
- March 2014: JVP-SD had a booth and distributed educational materials to teachers at the California Council for the Social Studies conference in Los Angeles.
- August 2014: JVP-SD had an information table at the Activist San Diego Gaza/BDS Forum
- September 2014: JVP-SD had a table at the US Campaign to End the Occupation Organizer’s Conference in San Diego
- March 2015: JVP-SD had a booth and distributed educational materials to teachers at the California Council for the Social Studies conference in the Bay Area.
- March 2016: JVP-SD had a booth and distributed educational materials to teachers at the California Council for the Social Studies conference in Orange County.
- April 17, 2016 EarthFair booth at Balboa Park EarthFair where 60,000 people attend, with posters and fact sheets about the Environmental Impact of the Occupation on Palestinian Territories and collected signatures on petitions.
- In early 2014: We showed a series of documentaries at public libraries:
- September 2014: Sponsored author/film maker Alice Rothchild for a book signing and discussion of her film Voices Across the Divide that contained interviews with Nakba survivors.
- Nov 20-22: We endorsed and supported the Arab Film Festival San Diego
- September 2015: Jewish Voice for Peace-San Diego and Karama will co-sponsor a free public screening of the documentary film Reel BadArabs: How Hollywood Vilifies a People at the La Jolla Public Library, Sunday, September 20th at 1:30 PM.
- February 2016 The Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of San Dieguito Human Rights Task Force and Jewish Voice for Peace-San at the Fellowship in Solana Beach had a dinner, film “Stones Cry Out: the plight of Palestinian Christians” by Yasmine Perni, and panel discussion. All proceeds went to a fund for Syrian refugees.
- February 2016, Lia Tarachansky presented her award-winning documentary On the Side of the Road at the La Jolla Public Library.
- September 24th, 2016: Showed Occupation of the American Mind at La Jolla Library.
- October 9th, 2016: No Way to Treat a Child at Malcom X Library. Read more
JVP-SD engages the local Jewish community to provide them with new information and a new perspective about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Additionally, we host interfaith celebrations of Jewish holidays, and commemorate important historical events related to Israel-Palestine.
- April 18: JVP-SD co-sponsored a unique Passover Seder that highlighted modern day struggles for justice and liberation.
- May 14, Nakba Day: JVP-SD invited Palestinian friends to share their personal stories of family members who had had been forcibly displaced by Israelis during the 1948 war. In so doing, we confronted myths of what took place during Israel’s establishment.
- July 20: JVP-SD members participated in a discussion organized by Hillel of San Diego to discuss the role of dissent in Jewish religious traditions. The event was held right before JVP participated in a counter-demonstration, in opposition to the rally organized by the local Jewish Federation to support Israel’s onslaught in Gaza in 2014.
- September 2014, Yom Kippur: JVP San Diego members participated in a discussion about the Jewish community’s relationship to Israel with the members of Havurah Kol HaNeshama at a synagogue in Old Town.
- October 2014, Sukkot: JVP-SD organized an interfaith Sukkot celebration, incorporating both traditional and interpretive holiday rituals, and a discussion about our ongoing commitment to pursuing justice in the coming year.
Our outreach includes plans to reach the local Jewish community to provide them with new information and a new perspective.
- September 2014: Chapter members helped to organize the US Campaign to End the Israeli Occupation national conference.
May 2016: Commemorating 68 Years of Al NakbaJVP San Diego worked with BDS San Diego, KARAMA, CAIR and Palestinian American Women’s Association-San Diego to organize a Palestinian dinner, musical performance, film, exhibit of pre-1948 Palestine, talk by Dr. Jamal Nassar, Professor of Political Science and eyewitness stories of Al Nakba survivors. 160 people attended.
- January 2014: Members participated in the West Coast JVP Leadership Development Institute weekend of training in Julian, CA.
- Chapter members participated in national JVP teleconferences regarding Gaza, chapter building, Presbyterian Divestment campaign and other topics.
Humanize Palestine Event at UCSD